First day in a while of not having some creative deadline imminent. It’s going to be nice to have some breathing space.
That said, I have a choice of interesting options to get my teeth into for final year and my GARP isn’t going to be writing itself. I also want to try and get back into drawing again- I’m considering setting myself a daily project much like I did in first year. I also have Inform.Animation in Sardina to look forward to and a rather epic journey to Vietnam and Cambodia if I qualify for the Susan Cotton award. So quite a lot to be getting on with over the summer.
Second year has been a bit of a pain. I’ve not personally enjoyed much of the work I’ve produced and I’m not sure where I’ve been going wrong. I haven’t lost the desire to do this but it’s felt a bit forced at points this year. Hopefully it’ll improve.
I’ve been neglecting this blog recently.
I think i need to work out what i’m going to use it for- at the moment I feel like I need to start a separate blog to curate images and things of interest and to keep this for the purpose of work in progress, research and responses to design lectures.
I’m also working on some personal branding and thinking about a web portfolio. It’s quite difficult to select stuff I’ve done that I identify with and want to represent me. There’s also the physical portfolio for this year to think about a more interesting format/layout for…
During the summer I did a couple of days working in a small graphics department in Wates Construction. The work I did was pretty basic- I produced a couple of good practice posters based of a short video of sustainability and responsibility issues, from which I took simple stick figure characters and drew them in illustrator to relate to a series of statements like ‘keep noise to a minimum’ and ‘store hazardous material safely’. I didn’t think much of them but they’re being put up in Wates’ sites and offices now, apparently.
I also did some basic InDesign and printing work. The design work was mostly publications called ‘bid documents’ that are sent to a prospective client, and the purpose of the design department was to make them presentable and imply care and suitability of Wates for the job. They aren’t that high quality in their design, but this is, from my observation, partially down to strict timescales, allowing for amendments and having to produce spreads before they are given information to fill them.
I also discovered that Wates do a lot of work for LJMU, including the ADA building. I looked over some drawings and photos of the construction, which I found interesting. While the work was not the sort of thing I aspire to, it was a valuable experience in the sense that I was able to get a feel for a busy working environment.
I’m planning on adding more posts to this blog from TYPO over the holidays:
I have a backlog of half written up responses that I’m only just getting round to finishing off. I was also going to add some relevant pictures to break the text up a bit, but issues with backdating and squashing/stretching of the images have been causing problems.
Hopefully though I have enough writing here for the formative assessment.